Saturday, 8 January 2011

Happy New Year 2011!


So, gone is 2010 and hello 2011! Happy new year everyone, may this year be the best of the best for all! Looking back, the difference between the start of last year and the start of this year could not be any further apart. So much has changed in such a short period time. Some things changed for the better, but there must be balance and so some things changed for the worse as well.

It is quite unbelievable, even for myself to think of all the changes that have occurred. That start of last year could not have been any different from the start of this year. I am no longer an undergraduate, instead having had two separate jobs and then being accepted into my Masters, I'm now looking forward to start a brand new course with different people and different responsibilities. Friends that I've spent my entire uni life with are no longer in the country and I've met an entire new set of people. I've seen old friends, moved many a time during my summer of sofa surfing and travelled from Hong Kong to Beijing to Shanghai and then back to Hong Kong. I've met distant relatives that I've never seen before but now really enjoy their company, gone back to teach dance and completed several projects in the meantime. But all good things are balanced with a good helping of the bad as well. I can only hope that we've had our share of bad luck and circumstance in one big helping and that 2011 will be much kinder.

You wouldn't realise but I've actually rewritten this post many times now, hence why it is so many days into the new year before this entry has been published. I'm not entirely sure why it's been so difficult to express in words the happenings of the previous year. I've written certain things and deleted them time and time again in fear of conveying inappropriate and personal issues in ways in which they could be misunderstood. This usually is not my manner at all, I've always felt that I was a very direct and outspoken person, and "was" is the key word here. I don't believe I've changed radically but I've learnt that some things are better kept private and trust is something that cannot be dished out so easily. No need to pour my heart and soul out publicly to bring everyone else's mood down or simply to gain sympathy and attention, nor is there any point hinting that I'm unhappy. I understand that it's not good to bottle everything up and people care, but sometimes not dwelling on things and simply getting on with life is the easiest way to deal with certain situations.

Over the past few years I've grown to recognise the line between personal and business issues very well and learnt to separate the two. This is now the way I function and I don't ever mix the two. I've found that I can remain professional and get tasks done much faster and better without allowing my emotions to get in the way. After adopting this method I've realised my capabilities in management, organisation and even finance, all qualities I wanted to try and test before I decided whether I should start my own company in the future. And now, in this new year I'm going to seriously get the ball rolling for my own business and trying to get in as many side projects as I can alongside my Masters. Starting with a music video for an original piece my good friend Chris Gill has written and sung. An exceptionally talented singer, songwriter and artist and I cannot wait to get the show on the road! Make sure you check out his music here! Keep your eyes peeled, more things coming this way very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment