Monday, 24 January 2011

Goldsmiths Dance: Roulette Trailer


So, my last few days were spent capturing, recapturing and then editing day and night to get this out, but after all the intensive hard work...here it is, finally! Goldsmiths Dance's 2010 showcase, Roulette is now available to pre-order on DVD so everyone can take the experience away with them! The trailer is just a sneak preview of what the DVD has to offer and I sincerely hope it's made the show look exciting and fun!

This year, I had three people troll through an incredible amount of music to find the right track for this piece. I found a similar version of this track by chance and found that I actually really liked it, so I searched for more remixed versions and found the one I used in the final video. The song is very different to my usual choices (I normally use instrumentals, fast paced & very techno based) and it's the first time I've actually worked on something with lyrics. At first I didn't want a track that would be so recognisable, that way hopefully the viewer would be focusing on the video itself rather than the song. However, this track fitted so well with the casino theme of the show, while also having this unique, modern twist to it, I really couldn't think of any reasons not to use it! At first I was unsure on how I should start, I'm used to edited very fast and abrupt beginnings and I wasn't sure to start off with stills or footage from rehearsals. The beginning of this video had so many different versions I really started to get fed up and wondered if I had chosen the wrong track in the end. However, as my mother always used to tell me, "perseverance counts for everything" and in the end I could not have hoped for a better beginning to the video! It's a wonderful contrast to my usual work and certainly a very different pace to the rest of the trailer itself, which is what makes it so special in my opinion. You can really stop and look at each scene properly and appreciate the angle of the shot, the dancers themselves and the variations in colour.

So, a transformed style of editing, mixing the best of the old with the freshness of the new, making an exciting way of creating videos. Certainly one of my best works to date (if I say so myself!) and I'm excited to see what this experience has to bring in terms of my future work. I will be now dedicating my time to my MA Filmmaking course - which takes an incredible amount of dedication and hard work and I've only completed my first week! - and editing the actual full length feature of Roulette, along with many other exhilarating things! Certainly watch this space people, something great is coming this way, I can just feel it!

Roulette DVD's are £5.00 and are available to pre-order with Goldsmiths Dance at any of their dance classes or public events. Pre-order yours now!


Footage shot on: Canon XM2 Camcorder & Sony 720p HD Handycam
Camera Crew: Milli Lo & Christopher Lee
Film Location: The Stretch, Goldsmiths Students Union, London
Edited on: Final Cut Pro & Adobe After Effects
Audio Credits: "I Put A Spell On You"
                           Original performed by Nina Simone
                           Version remixed by MiM0SA

No comments:

Post a Comment