Wednesday, 22 December 2010

A Little About Me...

I've always perceived myself as a very organised and ambitious person. Throughout the years leading from secondary school to sixth form college and to now finishing my undergraduate degree at uni, my original plans in life have changed many a-time. I was originally set on being an Architect and university has always been one of my goals. I've completed the university bit, but it's certainly not in Architecture, in fact BSc Creative Computing couldn't be further from the subject! Despite my disinterest for programming, there were a few modules I actually really enjoyed during the last three years and it was actually during university that I found my love for video editing and filmmaking. Having taught myself how to use several different editing software, I've been making videos ever since and I'm loving every minute of it. I go back to Goldsmiths this coming January to start my Masters course in Filmmaking and I am incredibly excited!

A lot of my recent work is very dance-orientated. Having danced from the young age of 3 years, dance runs in my blood and over the years it's become much more than just a hobby. When I moved to London to start uni I wanted to continue training and signed up at Pineapple and Danceworks Studios in Central. Joining and class fees were expensive and on a student budget it wasn't practical to continue, so I ended up setting a dance club as part of my university's students union. Goldsmiths Dance was born in the summer of 2008 and is still running strong today, even though I've handed it over to a new admin team after completing my undergrad. Being Captain for the starting two years was a hell of a lot of hard work. I had an exceptionally small team, which incidentally meant I was practically doing everything myself. The role was definitely like a full-time job and it was tough to juggle my responsibility along with my degree, especially during my third and final year. However, despite everything I will never regret anything I did. Starting, running and teaching for the club was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and to prove I did a good job I even won the President of the Year Award in 2010. It's a real achievement when I know all the hard work and sleepless nights weren't in vain when others recognise all that I've put in. The club was nominated for a lot of other awards as well, including Team of the Year 2010 and a lot of our members and admin team received coloured awards. I'm so proud of that club and I will always see it as my "baby", my first business, even though it was always non-profit and I personally didn't earn anything. I will always look back on happy memories and know I did a good job and all my perseverance and determination paid off.

The Dance Club was always like my trial-run for my own business. I knew that if I could make it a success and people enjoyed the services we provided then I could be confident that I had the ability to run my own company in the future. I still don't know when my own company will take off yet, it's too early to say. However, the early stages are in motion already. Recently, I finally decided on a name, started designing my personal business cards and a logo/introductory brand for future videos has been designed. I am about to purchase the web domain to secure it and will work on the website when I get a chance. My own personal website is online again and also under construction, many thanks to my friend Mabz who is always helping me get my work online! So, all in all this lead up to Christmas has been fairly productive - despite my being ill! Keep an eye out for all the projects and updates to come! For now, over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment